Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cookie Monster: Kitchen Experimentation

MMMM... warm gooey cookies

A few months ago - when the oven was broken - I read this article in The Times. It suggests that resting your chocolate chip cookie dough up to 72 hours before baking enhances the flavor, texture and browning of the cookie. It all has to do with how the eggs are absorbed by the butter-coated flour. I was intrigued. So, now that Autumn is officially here and the oven is repaired, I decided to put this article to the test.

I used the Nestle Tollhouse recipe (you know, from the back of the bag). According to the Times, the original recipe did call for resting the dough over night, but that step was cut, most likely because, well, who has the patience to wait overnight for warm cookies or the forethought to make the dough ahead? AND who has the will power not to gobble up the raw dough?

Anyway, here is my first batch, made at zero hour from the freshly made dough. And let me tell you, they are mmm-mmm good; crispy-on-the-outside, gooey-on-the-inside, fresh from the oven...

About 2/3 of the dough is in the fridge aging. Stay tuned as I bake additional batches at 24 and 48hours and report back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are doing this! I've meant to, but the cookie dough doesn't last that long...

Thanks for your review!
Mar-Mar

Clio said...

We'll have to see if my will power makes it to 48 hours!