Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stuck

Right now, Justin (my running coach) and I are not friends.


You may recall that I am now - in theory - "a runner," meaning that three days a week I hobble around the neighborhood at a very very slow speed, gasping and grunting while Phineas trots along shouting encouragements. Occasionally, I shout rude things back.

Anyway, no doubt you have noticed that my posts have dwindled a bit in the last few weeks. I blame it on Justin. Running is eating into my other hobbies. I'm exhausted. And hungry. Really, really hungry. But too tired to cook. And now, on top of it, I am stuck. I progressed thru the first 3 weeks of 5k training smoothly. But week 4, where I am supposed to be running for three 8-min bursts, separated by 1 minute of walking, and then a final 3-min sprint, is defeating me. It nearly killed me the first time. The second was only slightly better. And then on Monday my sneaker started rubbing my heel and I had to call my run short.

Dr Kiang said that when she started running it took 3-4 months to get to equilibrium (ie: not tired and starving all the time) . So, hang in there with me and hopefully we will be back to normal in time for Oktoberfest. In the meantime, I am considering buying stock in Skippy, since I am single-handedly propping up peanut butter sales in the northeast.

Oh, so, the point of the post: this week's blue plate special is the humble peanut butter sandwich - too humble even for a photo. I prefer mine without jelly and served open faced on a toasted english muffin. But you can have yours anyway you like it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hang in there! one small comfort I take when running a difficult workout is that running is a great equalizer -- it hurts us all, no matter the level or the speed. Don't know if it helps or not, but I know for me, misery loves company and the thought that its not any easier for the elite runners motivates me to keep going.

Clio said...

Thanks! I did a gym workout yesterday and, compared to running, it was a breeze. Very encouraging that I've made great strength and cardio gains in a very short time.

30 before 30 said...

I think the peanut butter sandwich is most worthy of a pic! Then again I'm kind of hungry...

Anonymous said...

Keep going! I'm very impressed. Runners are crazy - you have joined an impressive club. My cousin Sarah, was training for a 1/2 marathon until she was 32 weeks pregnant (7mths). I have been inspired to walk 2- 3 miles a day by that...I think I'll wait till after "Hailey Bailey Daly" is born to tie up my running shoes. So BTW, we are having a girl and Jay came up with a few names - Hailey Bailey Daly, America Daly, and Christmas Daly, all by himself. I think we will be revisiting the name book! :)

Mar-Mar

Clio said...

Christmas Daly! I love it. It sounds so very optimistic!