Thursday, August 20, 2009

Another Domestic Goddess in Training: Erato learns to Sew

Erato, the youngest Muse, recently expressed an interest in sewing. Her statuesque proportions - 6' tall and willowy - make it hard for her to find RTW pants that fit, an issue that you know is near and dear to my heart. So, for her birthday, the other Muses and I chipped in to buy her a sewing machine and the basic tools she will need to get started.

For her first project, she and I are going to do a pajama bottom sew along using Kwik Sew 3602.

In addition to learning basic garment/pants construction techniques, I thought this would be a good project because she will have to learn how to alter the pants for length. She is going to have to make it her standard alteration, so why not start now?

Last night we met up for her first "lesson" - how to read a pattern envelope and shop for the fabric and notions. We hit Mood for our fabric, Pacific Trimming for our notions and walked around the Garment District. I brought my camera to take some pictures of us, but naturally forgot all about it. So typical.

Anyway, the homework I assigned is to wash and press her fabric. Then we will meet up again to alter/cut the pattern and our fabric. I promise to take pictures then!

2 comments:

30 before 30 said...

Warn me about pics! I'll look decent next time!!!

PS I <3 willowy!

MS said...

How fun! Wish I lived closer!