Thursday, January 7, 2010

Super New Year!

The holidays were fantastic and exhausting. I did a lot of cooking and baking, spent time with family and friends, celebrated five years of being married to Phineas (hurray!) and received some very thoughtful gifts which relate to my hobbies. In other words, I have a lot of catch-up blogging to do.

But first, I want to share my goals/resolutions for 2010. I know many of you are resolution nay-sayers. However, I've successfully made small but positive changes at the New Year like "replace my daily diet coke with water" and "eat fruit every day". Perhaps it is because they are small goals and not broad strokes (eg: "get in shape") that I have succeeded. Whatever the case, resolutions work for me. Even the one resolution from past years that I seemed never to be able to conquer - "run 30 minutes without feeling like I want to die" - was finally met in 2009.

So, what goals to set in 2010? I have a few, most of which have to do with running:

Run My First 10k- Since my Turkey Trot, I've continued running. I'd really like to run faster - less than 10 min/mi would be good, but I don't know how long it will take me to get there. So, since I am running longer each week, the resolution is to run my first 10k - that is 6.1 miles. It would open up lots of opportunities since there are so many 10k races. And I may have found a good first one: The Super Hero Half Marathon. Yes, I know a half marathon is not a 10k. But this one can be run as a 2-person relay (6.55 mi each) by either single sex or mixed teams. It's not until May, so I have time to make up my mind. But it would be fun and fit the bill.

No Seconds
- In my ongoing efforts to live the French paradox I've decided to put a moratorium on second helpings. In 2009, I successfully maintained my weight loss, which was the goal for the year. Given my interest in running - and running faster and further - I've decided that I would be more aerodynamic and superhero-like with10-15lbs less of me to love. So, no seconds.

So, overall, if you want to make a sweeping statement about my resolutions, I guess it would be: Be a SuperHero!
Oh, that sounds kind of exciting! Anyway, best wishes for 2010, and stay tuned, because there is more to come.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I highly recommend the book, French Women Don't Get Fat to assist in your quest to achieve French Paradox status. If you can get past the condescending title, she has some great guidelines and some pretty good recipes. I need to re-read it, but I do know that the hardest part here in the States is always eating a balanced meal, at fast food joints its really difficult to ensure proper balance (meat, veggies & fruit at every meal).
Good luck!

Mar-Mar said...

Happy New Year Clio and Phineas! I began to worry because I hadn't seen a new blog in a while. I hope you are well and enjoying 2010!

Mar-Mar

Clio said...

AMM - I was hesitant to get it b/c it sounded snooty! I'll check it out now. Thanks!