Friday, July 2, 2010

Fashion + Public Art

Has anyone else see the Sidewalk Catwalk public art exhibit on Broadway between 35th and 42nd Streets?

One of the student entries (FIT I think)

The basic idea is that 30 NY designers, plus 2 students entries from Parsons and FIT, dressed mannequins in building materials to strut their way down Broadway through the Fashion District. They are all located on the pedestrian median that runs from Times Square to Herald Square. The mannequins will be on display until Labor Day weekend begins.

In general, I liked the ones that were less like dresses and more statement-ish. Also, I thought some of my favorites were from designers who I wouldn't necessarily choose for myself fashion-wise. Here are a few highlights.

Kenneth Cole's pithy mannequin

Diane Von Furstenberg's leopard print mannequin
(Magenta - underneath it all, I'm pretty sure this is what you look like.)


Elie Tahari's art deco number - very "Metropolis"


Happy 4th of July, everyone! Hope you have a great weekend!

Tommy Hilfiger - I thought this was one of the best.
(um, yes - you can see the mannequin's bum from the back side.)

4 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Oh I'm going to have to walk down Broadway and see this! Thanks for letting me know about it!

Andrea said...

That looks so hot. I wish I could come up for the day and see it.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very cool! This gives me yet another reason to visit NYC soon...

Janice said...

This is so cool! I didn't even know this exhibit was going on (I hope it still is!), but now I have an excuse to take a trip to the garment district to check it out. I'll definitely be stopping in to my favorite spots while I'm over there.

Cute blog!

xoxo
Janice
http://jungleejuice.blogspot.com/